While I am always maintaining my home and office there are times when clutter gets out of control. I have my system that I follow, but life happens and sometimes we need to prioritize. When I need to tackle a space this is my process:
- First I take a deep breath.
- I start in one corner of a room, closet, desk, another surface, or container, then work my way around clockwise.
- I work with small sections at a time to avoid a big mess at the end of my session. This way I can stop at any time if necessary.
- I start with sorting and purging.
- My “piles” (either containers or sections of the room) include Trash, Recycle, Shred, Donate and Keep.
- I use black trash bags for donations and white ones for trash to avoid confusion. For fragile items being donated, I use boxes or bins.
- I never purchase organizing products until everything is sorted and purged. My goal is to avoid buying new products and use containers I already have on hand. Plus it is important to know what sizes are needed first.
- I label almost everything. My most important tool is my label maker. I love my DYMO LetraTag!
- I put function before beauty. I feel that a system should be in place for some time before investing in decorative containers.
- The important thing is that everything has a home.
Visit my previous Blog Post on the questions you can ask to determine what to let go of.