My Decluttering Process
While I am always maintaining my home and office there are times when clutter gets out of control. I have my system that I follow, but life happens and sometimes we need to prioritize. When I need to tackle a space this is my process:
- First I take a deep breath.
- I start in one corner of a room, closet, desk, other surface or container, then work my way around clockwise.
- I work with small sections at a time to avoid a big mess at the end of my session. This way I can stop at any time if necessary.
- I start with sorting and purging.
- My “piles” (either containers or section of the room) include Trash, Recycle, Shred, Donate and Keep.
- I use black trash bags for donations and white ones for trash to avoid confusion. For fragile items being donated, I use boxes or bins.
- I never purchase organizing products until everything is sorted and purged. My goal is to avoid buying new products and use containers I already have on hand. Plus it is important to know what sizes are needed first.
- I label almost everything. My most important tool is my label maker. I love my DYMO LetraTag!
- I put function before beauty. I feel that a system should be in place for some time before investing in decorative containers.
- The important thing is that everything has a home.
Visit my previous Blog Post on the questions you can ask to determine what to let go of.
Wishing you productivity, peace, and prosperity,
Take the Quiz
Find Your Organizing Style
We all work differently and whether you are organized or not you have a style. It is important to know how you work before deciding on systems. Click the button below to take this simple quiz to find out your style.